The annual Almedalen Week in Visby
Date: Thursday 6 july
Time: 3 PM - 4 PM
Venue: Uppsala University – Campus Gotland, Studentcentrum/Hus D
There is a global consensus on the importance to promote sustainability in the form of the global Sustainable Development Goals. But we need to move beyond institutionalised and compartmentalised approaches. For education this means that responses in formal education cannot be contained within the formal education system but requires cooperation with other stakeholder at the local, national and international level.
This year, SWEDESD will host a seminar during the annual Almedalen Week in Visby, to explore what kinds of partnerships and cooperations might be promising entry points for strengthening education´s contribution to sustainable development. What can we learn from these partnerships? And how can we build on these insights in order to accelerate up-scaling efforts and to reform the implementation mechanisms by which we are to realise the Global Goals nationally and internationally?
- Julia Heiss, Team Leader and Programme Specialist - Education for Sustainable Development, UNESCO Paris, France
- Heila Lotz-Sisitka, Professor, Environmental Learning Research Centre at Rhodes University, South Africa
- Lars Nordahl, Head of Unit, Swedish Council for Higher Education
- Jonas Carlehed, Sustainability Manager, Ikea
- Helena Lundmark, Coordinator, Swedish Society for Nature Conservation
- Shepherd Urenje, Specialist, SWEDESD Uppsala University (moderator)
Contact Stefan Bengtsson, project coordinator, +46 18 471 8413, firstname.lastname@example.org
Seminar description in the Almedalen Week Calendar
In 2016, SWEDESD hosted a high-level policy related seminars on education’s role for achieving the UN Agenda 2030 with Irina Bokova, director-general, Unesco, and Gustav Fridolin, Swedish minister of education. The seminar raises questions such as:
- What changes have to be accomplished in education in order to achieve the SDGs?
- What kind of education and learning is needed to adapt to current and future global challenges?
- What actions are needed in Sweden and globally to bring about these changes?
See also videos from previous years
Almedalen 2015: Skolans ansvar för ett hållbart samhälle –ett exempel på möjligheter och utmaningar
Almedalen 2014: Ledarskap bortom Pisa-paniken - hur kan skolan bli mer relevant?
Almedalen 2014: Dialog och lärande för en hållbar utveckling - Lansering av en handbok för deliberativ planering
Almedalen 2013: Tillväxtforum - går det att komma överens om Ojnareskogen?